Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I have not been keeping up with this blog every week, as I am on vacation.  I have been to Allicia's and we went to the San Diego Temple while I was there.
We also went to the Los Angeles Fabric district.  For someone who does a lot of sewing it will blow your mind.  There is about four blocks of Fabric stores and they have the fabric displayed on the sidewalks. I took a couple of pictures.  If I can figure out how to get them from my phone to my computer, I will upload one to this blog.

My Grandpa Sinor was my favorite Grandpa.  We got along really well.  I was his helper.  I helped him get in the winter wood.  He taught me how to use a crosscut saw.  We would go into the woods and find a fallen and dead live oak tree and saw it up to use in the kitchen stove.  We used black oak trees for the heating stove.

Grandpa would go squirrel hunting. He used a twenty two rifle.  He would take Checker (the dog) with him.  Checker would tree a squirrel and he would be on one side of the tree barking.  The squirrel would of course go around to the other side of the tree.  Grandpa would be there  to shoot it.  Sometimes if the squirrel was on a small enough branch he would  do what we called barking it.  He would shoot the branch right under the squirrel and it would cause the squirrel to fall off. That way no meat was hurt.  These squirrels were big Fox squirrels. Not the little ones out in the west.
I used to help my Grandpa cut cedar posts.  They were the hard cedar used in cedar chests, not the soft cedar in the West.  Grandpa used post oak for his fence posts and cut the cedar  posts to sell to farmers in Kansas and Nebraska where they didn't have a lot of trees to make posts with.  Now they all use steel fence posts.
Grandpa would cut the  trees (they were not big like out west cedar trees are.) mostly  8 to 12 foot tall.  He would trim them of  their branches and cut them to size.  I would hook of a chain to them and use the horse to pull them to a pile where a truck could load them up to haul them away. 
Grandpa would pile all the ends and branches in a big pile.
When we went hunting in the fall we would come across one of the piles and set it on fire..  It went up like gasoline.  Sparks would go up in the sky like fireworks. Grandpa would always wait until we had  big rain so the woods wouldn't catch fire.
When I was telling about Uncle Don and his having us hoe his corn on the White River I forgot to mention that is where
my Grandpa taught me to swim.
Grandpa had bought the place where he was living in the Forties.  It wasn't cleared of trees so he had to rent land to grow his hay and corn.  He did have about two avers for a garden but  not enough for crops.  He rented a  mile stretch of railroad right of way from the railroad.  He only had 6 rows of corn but they  were a mile long.  So, when you said you hoed a corn row it was saying a lot.  He had two horses that he did his farm work with.  He raised corn and hay to feed his horses. He had horses to raise corn and hat. I never could see the point of that.  But, Grandpa did love his horses. One of them went missing and we looked for hours.  We finally found her.  She had fallen into a ravine and had broken her leg.  Grandpa carried 2 five gallon buckets of water to her. It was a mile that he had to carry them. He did this knowing he was going to have to shoot her as there was no way to fix her leg and get her out of the ravine.  I asked him why he carried water to her when he knew he was going to have to shoot her. He said he wasn't going to let her die thirsty.  I never saw him cry.  But when he had to shoot his horse her cried.
He and my Grandma moved to Okemah, Oklahoma when he gave up farming.  My Grandma Sinor's mother lived there and she needed them to be with her as she was getting up in years.  He is buried in the Highland cemetery  in Okemah.

I have to go show a lady how to crochet a scarf.  I will try to bog again next week but don't count one it

2 comments:

  1. I love stories about Grandpa Sinor! He not only seems to have had a great influence on who you are today, but he just seems like a sweet grandpa. :) Thank you for the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I would love to see your pictures from the fabric district. I have always wanted to go there. :)

    ReplyDelete